Mountain View School opened in 1919. 

Mountain View was a consolidated school for grades 1-7 and Freshmen-Senior Classes.

The consolidated schools were Sunnyside (Roy Coffey's), Forest Grove (Pultz's Hill), Neriah Church, Field School (Goodman's/Crossroads), Log House Academy, and Kinnear School.

 How Mountain View Got Its Name

Mr. Pultz, Chairman of the District School Board, was the first to arrive at the school site for a meeting.  He lay on the ground under an apple tree trying to think of a name acceptable to all the merging schools.  As he turned to get up, he saw the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the name "Mountain View" came to mind.

The Early Days of Mountain View

Following World War I, the school grew and needed more room, the union sponsored the addition to the old building, largely paid for by public funds.

The school was then a square building with four classrooms downstairs and two classrooms upstairs.

At the front of the school was a sheltered entry where horse drawn buggies and school buses could unload students.   

The classroom desks were double, which meant each student had to share a seat.  The seats were all one size, which meant they were too large for small children and too small for the older students.

Drinking water was carried on a bucket from a distant spring and kept of the table near the teachers desk.  This location was supposed to discourage the use of water guns and the “accidental” spilling of a dipperful of water on the girls.  

Slates and slate pencils were far more common than tablet paper. 

Students were organized by reading level not by grade in the early days.  Students progressed through the Mastery of Readers.  There was no library or extra reading material whatever available for students or teachers.

A horse drawn school wagon route was  established to start at Davidson’s landing  of South River were the old canal boats once stopped then follow present Route 703 to its intersection with route 705 to the school.

Mountain View School as the first school in Virginia to offer woodworking, home economics, and industrial arts to their students.

Fire Destroys the Old Building

Many of the tools used in these different subject areas were lost as a result of the fire in 1944 which destroyed the old school. 

 The “New” Brick Building

 The "new" brick Mountain View Elementary School was built in 1953.  Mr. Walter Paxton gave three acres of land for the school.

Mountain View Elementary today serves approximately 135 students in grades K-5 from the southern end of South River District.

 

The Principals of Mountain View

The first principal of the present Mountain View Elementary School was Clayton Camden.  Dan Burger served the school for more years than any other principal. 

Lee Anthony, Harry Carter, Bill Kinzer, Rudolph Claytor, John M. Whitesell, Lewis Straub, Donna Duncan and Sheree Gillespie were the other principals. 

Mrs. Lori Teague is the eleventh principal of Mountain View Elementary School.

Special Thanks to...

Ruby Leighton and Edith Staton for compiling Our Heritage:  Mt. View School, 1978

Mr. Lyle Kinnear for recollections of the classroom, curriculum and transportation of days gone by.

Mrs. Bobbie Sue Henry contributed the Mountain View History for our website.  Her information was compiled from the 1978 article in Our Heritage:  Mt. View School.

Charles Wilford Bartlett provided the illustration of our old school.

Bonnie Tyree provided the illustration of the brick building.

Maxine Foster provided the watercolor illustration of Mountain View before the latest renovations.